Hue Railway Station, also known as Tran Van Cao Station, is located on the Reunification Railway Line 1,041 km to the north of Ho Chi Minh city (Saigon).
Hue Railway Station is located a short distance to the south west of Hue city centre and a 2.8 km walk away from the entrance to Hue’s famous Imperial Citadel.
About Hue Train Station
Hue Railway Station was constructed by the French Public Works Department during the colonial era in 1902. The original rectangular station building remains in use, although an additional building housing the ticket counters and waiting rooms has been added to the original station to increase capacity to accommodate the increasing number of tourists who visit Hue.
American and North Vietnamese soldiers fought for control of the station building during the Battle of Hue, which was one of the fiercest confrontations of the Vietnamese War lasting over 2 months during 1968. Unlike the Imperial Citadel, the original station building came through the battle relatively unscathed and is one of the better preserved examples of colonial era railway architecture in Vietnam. Hue Railway Station was never a particularly grand station, but strikingly similar to the type of train station constructed in medium sized towns in metropolitan France at the end of the 19th Century.
Facilities at Hue Train Station
Hue Railway Station itself, like many railway stations in Vietnam, has few facilities provided by the state owned train operator, Vietnam Railways. There are toilets on the main train platform and in the building to side of the main terminal building which houses the booking office. The booking office also has a small waiting area with free-Wifi. Vietnam Railways does not provide a left luggage service.
More facilities, however, are provided by private enterprises located both within the station building itself and around the car park, which is in front of the train station:
- Local Transport: Taxis wait in the car park for all train arrivals. Even if you arrive at Hue Railway Station early in the morning or late at night there will always be taxis available.
- Convenience Stores: There are shops located on the main platform at Hue Railway Station selling food and drink, including alcoholic beverages which you can consume on the train.
- Restaurants: Opposite the station, on the other side of the car park, is a row of inexpensive small restaurants selling cooked food and drinks.
- Left Luggage: As you exit the station go the small restaurant to the left hand side of the row of restaurants on the other side of the car park. The owner speaks very good English and he offers a left luggage service for a small fee, allowing visitors to leave their bags for the day whilst they visit the Imperial Citadel and other attractions in the area.
Buying Tickets at the Station
You can purchase train tickets at Hue Railway Station from the booking office, which is to the left hand side of the main train station building as you enter the large car parking area in the front of the station.
There are five ticket counters to the left hand side of the entrance to the booking office, although only 1 or 2 of the ticket counters is ever staffed. You can use any ticket counter to book tickets for travel in advance or to travel on the same day. Bear in mind, however, that you may find that tickets sell out well in advance of the day of travel, particularly for the popular soft sleeper seats. We recommend booking at least 4 days in advance if you plan to take a longer journey from Hue to Saigon, Nha Trang or Hanoi. Long train journeys in Vietnam are not particular comfortable if you end up having to travel in a carriage with ‘hard’ seats.
Buy Train Tickets Online
Use the Search Box below to buy your Vietnam Tickets in advance online:
For destinations other than Hanoi, change the destination in the Search Box by typing in the first few letters of the place you want to go to and using then use the drop down list to select the destination.
Location of Hue Railway Station
Train Times from Hue Train Station to Hanoi
There are currently 5 daily train services from Hue to Hanoi.
- Buy train tickets from Hue to Hanoi.
Train Times from Hue Train Station to Nha Trang
There are currently 5 daily train services from Hue to Nha Trang.
- Buy train tickets from Hue to Nha Trang.
Train Times from Hue Train Station to Da Nang
There are currently 5 daily train services from Hue to Da Nang.
|Train||Depart Hue||Arrive Da Nang|
- Buy train tickets from Hue to Da Nang.